Let me begin by explaining the meaning of DNS. I know a lot of tech gurus among my esteemed readers know what this means already, but am still gonna go ahead and explain for the sake of those that don’t.
DNS stands for Domain Name System and it is often regarded as a phone book containing every public IP address as well as domain name, related to each other. The server functions as an internet directory, which is employed for turning alphanumeric domain names into corresponding IP addresses.
How Does a DNS Server Work?
It functions by mapping a domain name to the IP (Internet Protocol) address of the server in which the site is hosted. Once your smartphone has got the appropriate IP address, it is then able to access that site, along with all the content on it.
Your Internet Service Provider (ISP), by default, dictates automatically the preferred and alternate DNS server that you make use of.
With Android OS, you can change a DNS server, but not system-wide. All individual Wi-FI networks to which you connect come with their own settings. If you would like to utilize the same DNS server in all places, you will need to change it for each WiFi network to which you connect.
Steps for Changing the DNS Settings on Android
- Head to Settings on your smartphone
- Hit “Wi-Fi”
- Long press the present network you use and tap on “Modify network”
- Tick the checkbox, “Show advanced options”
- Choose “IP settings,” instead of “Static”
- Add the IPs of the DNS servers to the “DNS 1” as well as “DNS 2” fields
- Tap the “Save” option
- Lastly, disconnect from the network and now connect again for the changes you made to take effect
Steps for Changing the DNS Settings on iPhone or iPad
- Go to Settings on your phone
- Select “Wi-Fi”.
- Put it on if it is turned off
- Select a Wi-Fi network and hit the blue “i” icon
- Press the text-field that is across the DNS label
- Input the DNS addresses
- Hit “Wi-Fi” that is on top to go back
- And your changes will be saved, automatically
So there you have it, please do let us know if the above process works for you.